Find us on facebook

Thursday, March 13, 2014

These Go to 11: interviewing When Nalda Became Punk

Back with our interviews (slowly back to normal, but different life), and our next guest is one of the most exciting (imo) Spanish bands in recent years, When Nalda Became Punk, injecting joy and infectious charm to indiepop... or whatever you want to call it. These Go to 11!

When Nalda Became Punk

Whatever you call it, gorgeous music
Born in 2006 as the solo project of Galician (Vigo) Elena Sestelo, under the "lonely" name of Nalda, putting out a demo but then came into hiatus until summer of 2010. A second demo, “Time to meet your family” was followed by the arrival of Roberto Cibeira in 2011: When Nalda Became Punk was a reality. After a 7” single out on Pebble Records, their debut album "A Farewell To Youth" came out in early 2013 on the infallible Shelflife Records, With Antonio Llarena completing the actual trio formation they have played many shows (mighty Indietracks included) and they have now released their new EP "Indiepop or Whatever!" Diverse (everything fits if it's pop), straightforward and fresh, WNBP make music that can make you smile, whisper & dance, all at the same time. What's not to love? Here we go!

Speechless, I'm speechless
1. First record that you bought (be honest)
Elena: The first record I bought that I remember was a Beach Boys compilation on a double tape, I can’t remember the title but I remember that there was a TV on the cover. Of course after that I bought a lot of albums that now make me be ashamed, but fortunately that was the first.
Roberto: I think it was “Camino Soria” by Gabinete Caligari.
Antonio: Even if now I’m totally ashamed, I have to say that it probably was the one by Glenn Medeiros that included “Nothing’s gonna change my love for you”… It was pop after all, wasn’t it?

2. First and last concert you have attended (be honest too!)
E: That’s a bit worse, the first gig I remember I was by myself with my classmates and not with my parents, was… it’s so embarrassing… Heroes del Silencio, it’s clear I didn’t know what I was thinking about at the moment. The last one was Big City and Nine Stories in Vigo, a very nice one.
R: I’m not sure, but I think the first one was Duncan Dhu. The last one, Iván Ferreiro in Santiago.
A: The first one Doctor Explosion and Dover, in Murcia. The last one, Big City and Nine Stories in Vigo.

Advice: shut off you phone
3. Guilty pleasure (song/band you shouldn’t like but you do, yes, it’s the embarrassing question)
E: I’ve got a lot of guilty pleasures that I enjoy a lot, maybe not bands, but commercial songs with catchy tunes such as “Call me maybe”, the great “Hey ya” or my favourite karaoke song, “Angels” by Robbie Williams.
R: Lady Gaga’s “Poker face”.
A: I love Abba, I think “Dancing Queen”, for example, is such an amazing song! And I also like every single by Katy Perry… tough I’ve never listened to a whole album.


4. Most precious music item you own (collector mode on)
E: I have a few signed albums of favorite bands and they are really valuable for me but I think what I appreciate most are some pictures I took with the members of Belle and Sebastian in London, those pictures always bring me a lot of good memories.
R: The singles box by Los Planetas.
A: I buy lots of music but I don’t buy many rare things, so I’ll say my “T-shirt weather” single by The Lucksmiths signed in their farewell tour or “Formula One Racing Girls” signed by Helen Love, both for not only musical reasons.

Neil Hannon, our favourite gentleman
5. Favorite lyrics (not yours)
E: I’ve got a lot, but now I have in mind “Tonight we fly” by The Divine Comedy.
R: One of the lyrics I like most is “Northern Sky” by Nick Drake.
A: Lots and lots… Today I’ll say “¿Qué nos va a pasar?” by La Buena Vida, but I could tell you hundreds!

6. Musician/s you would like to meet (should be alive, for obvious reasons, but you can choose a dead one too)
E: I’d love to meet Damon Albarn, I owe it to the teenager I once was.
R: I’d like to meet the members of Sigur Ros.
A: I’m really shy when it comes to talk with musicians I like, I just get them to sign a record or take a picture, but not much more… I’ll say Neil Hannon from The Divine Comedy, I already have some pictures with him, but it would be great to go out for a drink with him.

7. Favorite artwork album (not yours)
E: It’s not my favorite but I love the one for “Remember that I love you” by Kimya Dawson, it’s really cute.
R: “Doolitle” by Pixies.
A: I don’t know… there are so many great artworks out there! The cover of “Kung fu” by Ash is quite cool, it was really well thought!

Pop ruined my life
8. Books or movies? Depending on your answer recommend us one (trick: you can choose both)
E: I’m afraid I’m more of movies, I don’t think I can recommend one that you already didn’t know, for example I enjoy very much the films by Wes Anderson… Also "Once", "Wall-e", I don’t know, there’s a lot…
R: Movie: "Blade Runner". Book: “Demian” by Herman Hesse.
A: I prefer books, it entertains you longer and you can connect with the characters more than in a movie… A book: "High Fidelity" by Nick Hornby, it is like a bible for the people who love pop music, isn’t it?. A movie: "Edward Scissorhands".

9. Song (of yours) you are most proud of
E: Right now I’d choose “Song for Carrie Mathison”, I’m really happy with the result of the tune and how they work with the lyrics.
R: “When Nalda Became Punk”, “Modest Circus” and “Song for Carrie Mathison”.
A: "Song for Carrie Mathison", it is the first song in which I wrote half of the lyrics! Elena was amazed that I was able to fit the word “Lasagna” in it… then I remind her that Oasis did it first in “Digsy’s dinner”.

10. What’s does it mean indie for you? (yes, the “serious question”)
E: That must be the question that I hate to answer the most because I never know what to say… I think that indie are the people that make music apart from the music industry, just doing what they want without thinking in success, money and that kind of things.
R: The possibility of doing things with the only aim of having fun, at your own way and doing just what we like.
A: For me it is enjoying the music you love without paying much attention to all the short of things that happen to be around the music but, in the end, don’t add anything special. For example, the feeling you get at every second at Indietracks Festival or at Madrid Popfest. That’s real indie for me! I also think that the Math and Physics Club explained it quite well in their song “We are D.I.Y.”.

11. Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
E: I don’t know, I’m such a pessimist! So I prefer not to think about it, but I just hope I’ll keep on enjoying writing songs.
R: With a lot of records released, playing everywhere they call us, meeting new places and interesting people.
A: Ah! Good question!! Who knows? Certainly not me…
Zillion thanks Nalda!

No comments:

Post a Comment