Find us on facebook

Thursday, March 27, 2014

These Go to 11: interviewing Watoo Watoo

Oh! What a great band (well, half of it) is answering our questionnaire today. It took me a while to discover them, but thanks to their fantastic latest album (look for it at the blog Best Records of the Year list, and yes, I'm aware we are just ending March), now I'm a converted to the Watoo Watoo "cult". Would you like to join me? I'm pretty sure you will fall for them too. These Go to 11!

Michaël Korchia, Watoo Watoo
The Korchias, indiepop alchimistes
Hailing from Bordeaux, France, Pascale & Michaël Korchia have a extensive career on their backs as their first release, the EP Un Peu de Moi" from 1997, proves. Since then, the couple have released three albums, "Le Fumalin" & "Curiosites?" in 2001, and "Le Fuite" in 2007, plus two  EPs, "Picture of a Lost Friend" in 1999 & "Le Tourbillon" in 2011, that came out on Dufflecoat Records. This year they have returned to action with the release of their 4th album, the mind-blowing "Une Si Longue Attente", via Jigsaw Records since January. Pluperfect indiepop, sophisticated, rich (try to listen it with the lights out, with good headphones), like gathering their beloved Stereolab, Young Marble Giants or Gainsbourg on a private party, just to come out, like pop alchimistes, with something no one, NO ONE, should miss. Here we go!
Mr Gardner, pop-looking

1. First record that you bought (be honest)
I used to love tapes, so I didn’t buy a vinyl until I was 16 or so. Probably an obscure punk band. First CDs were a Russian new wave band called Kino (not very good) & Lou Reed’s "Rock & Roll Animal".

2. First and last concert you have attended (be honest too!)
I saw “Le grand orchestre du Splendid” when I was 12. A mix of salsa, ska, jazz, French chanson & lots of humor. Last gig was 5 days ago, Jacco Gardner (excellent)

Ok, that's shocking
3. Guilty pleasure (song/band you shouldn’t like but you do, yes, it’s the embarrassing question)
I like a lot the 1st Depeche Mode album a lot (I find this quite embarrassing) & also a couple of Black Sabbath albums!


4. Most precious music item you own (collector mode on)
My 1973 Fender Jazz Bass – best bass in the world!
Gainsbourg, a French legend

5. Favorite lyrics (not yours)
Probably from Gainsbourg – maybe the album «L’homme à la tête de chou».

6. Musician/s you would like to meet (should be alive, for obvious reasons, but you can choose a dead one too)
Dead: Gainsbourg, without a doubt. Preferably in the early 70s. I would love to meet Lawrence from Felt but I’m afraid I could be deceived… Or Iggy Pop, he’s fantastic & I know I would have fun with him!

7. Favorite artwork album (not yours)
I love Blue Notes records from the 50s/60s. Also some punk covers, such as "Never Mind the Bollocks", or also the first Stooges album: impressive photo & great band logo. The first Velvet album is also very striking.

Les 400 Coups
8. Books or movies? Depending on your answer recommend us one (trick: you can choose both)
All the movies by François Truffaut, particularly the ones with Antoine Doinel: the "400 blows" & the others after. Unfortunatly I gave up reading books long years ago –music & photography take me too much time, & in my job (professor/researcher) I have lots of things to read (& I don’t, because I don’t have the time).

9. Song (of yours) you are most proud of
“Perdu”, maybe. It’s fast yet very melodic –some people think it sounds like Stereolab but I don’t think so. I still don’t know which is my favorite band in our new album, though.

10. What’s does it mean indie for you? (yes, the “serious question”)
Most of the time, It only means that big record companies just don’t want your band.

11. Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
In front of my computer, like always!

Zillion thanks Michaël!

No comments:

Post a Comment