Find us on facebook

Thursday, April 26, 2012

The Indie Anthology 11: essential songs

I know, I know. I already posted a song for the Anthology two days ago, but on the last few days, thanks to some great new indie/jangle-pop discoveries, like Allo Darlin', Baby Grand, etc..., my mind made me remember an incredible band, one of the finest groups of the 90s and 00s. One that everyone should know, so I couldn't help but write about them...

SongThe Golden Age of Aviation
ArtistThe Lucksmiths
Year: 1999

It's very hard to choose one Lucksmiths' song. They created some of the best gems of the called "Literate glorious pop". I remember reading that intriguing definition on the internet, which aroused my curiosity. "Staring at the Sky" was my first Lucksmiths release, on a time I also discovered Belle & Sebastian (they were their support act live). What an impression hearing them from the first time. Everything sounded so simple, pure and naturally magic... By the time the EP arrived to "The Golden Age of Aviation" I was already converted, but the combination of conversational, nostalgic lyrics, harmonies, trumpets and its 30 last seconds... The Lucksmiths were pop genius. Miss them.

No comments:

Post a Comment