Find us on facebook

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

These Go to 11: interviewing Alpaca Sports

Next musician to respond our questionnaire is Andreas Jonsson, the young man behind Alpaca Sports. What can I say? He is an indiepop genius, has been proving his talents since 2012 with each new tune offered... and now he is ready to conquer the world. So, when I'm very very old I'll remember one day I interviewed this music legend to be... These Go to 11!

Andreas meets his band name
Andreas Jonsson, Alpaca Sports
Andreas started his pluperfect twee/indiepop project in early 2012, and with the help of Amanda Akerman and Carl Jirestedt, plus a bunch of rotating musicians, he has been offering us, relentlessly, pop gem after pop gem in gorgeous 7" format singles. "Just for Fun" and "I Was Running" came out via Dufflecoat Records/ Luxury Records that same year, while in 2013, on the same labels, arrived the irresistible "He Doesn't Even Like You" and "Telephone", the latest being a split single with another seminal Swedish band, Acid House Kings. More recently it was the turn of "As Long as I have You", out on Cloudberry Records, making forthcoming February 24th a highlighted date on any indiepop lover's agenda. That's the day when debut album "Sealed with a Kiss", again on Dufflecoat/Luxury comes out. Pop world beware, Alpaca Sports and their delicate, lush, catchy and memorable music is here to stay!

Music aside, one of most famous
Swedish exports
1. First record that you bought (be honest)
My first LP was a compilation with all the songs from the Pippi Longstocking-movie. First cd is embarrassing! Melodie MC – Northland Wonderland (here’s the big hit "Dum da Dum"). I’m pretty sure I still know the whole rap-part.

2. First and last concert you have attended (be honest too!)  
My first concert must have been when I went to see the Swedish band “Mora Träsk” as a kid. The last concert I attended ( not playing ourselves) was probably to see labelmates Katakomb play at Jazzhuset in December.

3. Guilty pleasure (song/band you shouldn’t like but you do, yes, it’s the embarrassing question)
This New Years Eve I ended up dancing like a maniac to “Lucky” by Britney Spears. I was in chock and screamed to my friend Sophie, “why do I like this song so much?!” I think she has it all on camera, so I’m in big trouble haha.

4. Most precious music item you own (collector mode on)
Must be my LPs and singles with The Hit Parade. My favorites are “More Pop Songs” and “With Love from The Hit Parade”. I also got the “Emma’s house” 7” by The Field Mice as a gift from Gary from Dufflecoat Records, that one is very precious to me.

Underrated indiepop 
5. Favorite lyrics (not yours)
The first one that came to my mind was “I want the one I can't have, and it's driving me mad, it's written all over my face” by The Smiths. Then I thought of  “the best looking boys are taken, the best looking girls are staying inside” from “Judy and the Dream of Horses” by Belle and Sebastian. But I don’t know if they’re my favorites.

6. Musician/s you would like to meet (should be alive, for obvious reasons, but you can choose a dead one too)
Even though it scares me a bit to meet musicians I admire, I think it could be fun to have a cup of tea with Julian Henry from The Hit Parade.

7. Favorite artwork album (not yours)
Orange Juice “You Can’t Hide Your Love Forever”. But oh, difficult question! I already regret my answer…

8. Books or movies? Depending on your answer recommend us one (trick: you can choose both)
Movies. I’m addicted to drama/romance and I just saw the Chinese movie “The Road Home”, which I can highly recommend. One of my favorite movies is Tornatore’s “Cinema Paradiso”.

9. Song (of yours) you are most proud of
She’ll Come Back for Indian Summer”. I always love playing that one live.

10. What’s does it mean indie for you? (yes, the “serious question”)
Heart, soul and bap bap ba’s.

11. Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
I finally won the lottery and I’m now living on the French riviera. With a glass of wine in my hand I’m enjoying life in the sun with my wife and kids.
Zillion thanks Andreas!

No comments:

Post a Comment