Find us on facebook

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

The Indie Anthology 26: essential songs

It's been a while since the last chapter of our Anthology, but today the band election has been very easy. My little homage to one of my dearest friends, now quite far from me, but capable still of sharing with me what really matters in life.

Song: Animal Cannabus
Artist: Mull Historical Society
Year: 2001

Can't believe more than a decade has passed. Like Mull, the Scottish island where he comes from (I remember checking where it was on a map), Colin MacIntyre came out of the blue for me (for us). On a time when MTV still played music, "Animal Cannabus" was quite a shock. An epic, torrential indiepop song. A classic with flamboyant new clothes. Then came "Loss" with that unique, impossible dog cover. Music that was a bit surreal, joyful, and very rich (both lirycs and music). Unfortunately, Colin was heavily underrated despite its many talents and vibrant way of understanding music. But this was part of the soundtrack of those years. And still is a magnificent tune, and an artist to vindicate.

No comments:

Post a Comment