Find us on facebook

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

These Go to 11: interviewing Pale Spectres

More interviews! After closing April with The Treasures of Mexico, today we have the pleasure to fuel the section with more pluperfect janglepop, thanks to Thomas Guilcher from Pale Spectres (among other projects) answering our questionnaire. Enlightening pop from the 'City of Light'. Lots of familiar names on his answers. These Go to 11!
Pale Spectres, delicatessen at pop's supermarket
Thomas Guilcher, Pale Spectres
Hailing from Paris, they are Jean-François, Rafael, Stéphane and Thomas. and we met them in 2012, thanks to the song 'Better than Love', included on a compilation record from Cloudberry Records. One year later, they released debut EP 'Helen of Troy', four slices of hipnotic janglepop, via our beloved label Little Treasure Records. Now, after three years of waiting, during which Thomas got involved in several projects, like his one-man-band Tomiji, or collaborating with Blog dear friends Jeremy 'The Very Most' Jensen and Adriano 'Postal Blue' Ribeiro (wishing Les Coquelicots keep writing music together), our favourite ghosts are back with their "magic touch" intact, judging from the double A side amazing single 'Your Boyfriend's Girlfriend / Time to move on', out just now. Unmissable. Here we go! 

1.First record that you bought (be honest)
The very first record I bought might be 'Missing' by Everything But The Girl. I was probably 10 and it was a CD single. I remember cutting the cardboad cover to turn it into a sleeve for a jewel case. That was stupid, wasn't it ?

Brother in Law: La Famiglia shoegaze 
2. First and last concert you have attended (be honest too!)
The first concert I attended was actually a big festival nearby my parents' called Les Terres Neuvas. It doesn't exist anymore. I mostly remember seeing a French rap band called Saian Supa Crew. The last one was Brothers In Law a few days ago in Paris. It really was a great show. They're from Italy and their music could be described as 'shoegazy pop'.

3. Guilty pleasure (song/band you shouldn’t like but you do, yes, it’s the embarrassing question)
My latest guilty pleasure was probably Lana Del Rey. I even created my own best of compilation of her songs to listen to in the metro on my way to and back from work. I just love her music and I can't really explain why.

Gainsbourg meets Verlaine: a poets affaire
4. Most precious music item you own (collector mode on)
It probably is my Sarah Records vinyl collection. I own around 50 releases of the label and they're all very precious to me.

5. Favorite lyrics (not yours)
To be honest, I don't pay that much -or enough- attention to lyrics. I'm more sensitive to people's vocals and the way they use them. It's music after all. However, Serge Gainsbourg's lyrics for 'Je Suis Venu Te Dire Que Je M'En Vais', for example, are excellent. They're a fantastic tribute to one of Paul Verlaine's most famous poems.

Adriano Ribeiro: glorious indiepop goes transnational
6. Musician/s you would like to meet (should be alive, for obvious reasons, but you can choose a dead one too)
I would certainly love to meet Adriano from Postal Blue; not only because he's a wonderful musician but also because he's become a great friend. As he lives in Brasilia and me in Paris, we both know it would be complicated but you never know...

7. Favorite artwork album (not yours)
It may sound obvious but I'd say it's hard to top artworks such as Andy Warhol's banana for The Velvet Underground & Nico's self titled album or Peter Saville's waves for Joy Division's 'Unknown Pleasures'... They're both so beautiful and iconic.

A Belgian film! Recommendation taken
8. Books or movies? Depending on your answer recommend us one (trick: you can choose both) 
One of my many problems is I don't read enough. I would therefore have to say movies. If I had to recommend you one, I'd choose 'C'est Arrivé Près de Chez Vous'. The film is a Belgian masterpiece of extremely dark humor.

9. Release (of yours) you are most proud of
This is a trick question and proud is a big word. As far as I'm concerned, I noticed that the latest things you've created tend to be the ones you usually like the most. At the moment, my answer would then be a brand new song called 'The End' that we composed altogether from total scratch during a band practice. I really like collaborative compositions and I hope there will be more of them in Pale Spectres' future.

10. What does it mean indie for you? (yes, the “serious question”)
I feel like indie has just become a random word for a broad kind of pop or even music. I would sadly tend to think it no longer has anything to do with independance. It now relies more on a type of aesthetics.

11. Where do you see yourself in 10 years? 
I have absolutely no idea... I certainly have dreams but I'm mostly focusing on enjoying life day by day. To be honest, as I'm an optimistic person, I don't really care or think about that.    


 Zillion thanks Thomas!

No comments:

Post a Comment