Find us on facebook

Thursday, June 26, 2014

These Go to 11: interviewing The King in Mirrors

In this week's interview we keep the jangling pop path (gladly) with Rich May, the man behind one of our most exciting discoveries of this 2014 so far, The King in Mirrors. These Go to 11!

Rich May, The King in Mirrors
A kingdom of pop
Hailing from Swindon, UK, the gentle Rich May, previously involved in several bands, began his latest music project in 2012, debuting with a self-titled mini-album in May 2012, followed with EP "Rolling in the Sun" in the summer of 2013. His third release and last to date, came this March with superb EP "Little Voices" out on Take a Nap Records. There's a reason why we love guitar pop like the one Rich and his band offers us. It's the immediacy, the unbeatable hooks, the melodies ringing forever inside your ears, the guitar lines punching you. It's the feeling tunes were made because the artist believed in them and the listener gets there's honesty in every single second of each 3-4 minutes. Here's a king that deserves his pop crown. Here we go!

"Flash a-ah Savior of the Universe
Queen's superhero poetry
1. First record that you bought (be honest)
Ha ha... an embarrassing one to start off. The first single I bought was 'Flash' by Queen (because I liked the film when I was young) and the first album was ´Fantastic' by Wham!

2. First and last concert you have attended (be honest too!)
The first gig was The Cure at Wembley Arena in 1989 and the last one was Echo and the Bunnymen in Oxford two weeks ago.

3. Guilty pleasure (song/band you shouldn’t like but you do, yes, it’s the embarrassing question)
There's not too many bands or songs which I'm embarrassed to say I like but I have to admit that I like 'We Built This City On Rock 'n' Roll' by Starship. It always makes me smile and want to sing along!!

4. Most precious music item you own (collector mode on)
My 7'' of 'Lee Remick' by The Go-Betweens. I bought it at a record fair in the early 90's for £50. I'd never heard the song before but luckily, I loved it when I played it!!

Robert Forster: gifted pop mind working here
5. Favorite lyrics (not yours)
'We went into a club, bouncers got no brains, he said both of you are barred, I had to set him straight, I said listen Jack, don't you know, I'm a star' - Robert Forster (The Go-Betweens - Twin Layers of Lightning). Also, 'The Seabirds' by The Triffids. David McComb was an amazing lyricist / songwriter / singer.

6. Musician/s you would like to meet (should be alive, for obvious reasons, but you can choose a dead one too)
I would have to say Robert Forster, although I have met him before (briefly) at the Cobden Club in London when he and Grant McLennan were playing an acoustic album launch in 2002. Unfortunately, I lost my cool and told him he was my hero. He was very polite and said 'It's always nice to bump into your heroes on the stairs'. We had a short discussion about upcoming tour dates before I fled, embarrassed! I'd also like to meet Edwyn Collins or Andy Partridge.

West Australia on the sleeve,
majestic pop on the inside
7. Favorite artwork album (not yours)
The Triffids - 'Born Sandy Devotional' (great album and great sleeve artwork). The sleeve is an aerial view of West Australian town Mandurah and goes perfectly with the sound of the songs on the album.

8. Books or movies? Depending on your answer recommend us one (trick: you can choose both)
I'm not a big movie watcher and as much as I love reading I always seem to just read about music (far too music obsessed for my own good).

9. Song (of yours) you are most proud of:
I'm proud of quite a few of the songs that I have written for The King in Mirrors and with my previous band Baby Train. It's hard to single out a song that I'm most proud of but I'll go with 'Little Voices' from our recent EP.

10. What’s does it mean indie for you? (yes, the “serious question”)
Good question! For me, indie means a band or label that's making/releasing songs themselves because they love and believe in what they're doing, regardless of whether it will sell. Too many bands who play middle of the road guitar rock (often on major labels) are labelled as indie and I don't understand why.

Mr. McAloon (not Gandalf going pop)
11. Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
In ten years time, I'll be just into my 50's (gulp). I'd love to be like Paddy McAloon and have long white hair and beard and release the occasional great album. That's the plan, although my wife might not be so keen on the long white hair and beard!! :-)


Zillion thanks Rich & The King in Mirrors!

No comments:

Post a Comment