Find us on facebook

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Discoverer 34: new indie findings

Back with our weekly findings. It wasn't done on purpose, but it's going to be a very poppie post this time. Hope you enjoy but the three proposals are stunning!

Allo Darlin'. I didn't pay too much attention to their self-titled debut back in 2009. My bad, because their sophomore album, "Europe" is going to be among the records of the year for me. I'm completely abducted by this four-piece band based in London, led by the incredible Elizabeth Morris and her ukelele. The album is so full of indie-pop perfection I'm completely incapable of highlighting a song in particular, each day is a different one since the first time I heard "Europe". Let's admit it, I think I'm in love with Allo Darlin'.
Allo Darlin' - Capricornia
Allo Darlin'
Baby Grand. As announced, more wonderful and joyous indie-pop, now from this Californian band with more than 10 years behind their backs, in which they seem to have evolved from "a more darker side" to this "Arts & Leisure", their fourth album, a lush, infectious and diverse compendium of twee-pop. Beautifully orchestrated, with the absolutely adorable voice of Gerri White presiding each tune, Baby Grand's music might recall you to all our indie-pop heroes (from Belle & Sebastian to Rose Melberg with a full-band, from Sambassadeur to Lush), but in just two words: delicious music.
Baby Grand - Arts & Leisure
Cats on Fire. And of course, if we talk about indie-pop, the nordic scene has to show up, this time thanks to an e-mail from the great Matinee Recordings suggesting me to listen this Finnish band and its latest release, "All Blackshirts to Me". And what a fantastic recommendation it has been! Pure romantic melodies, between the melodrama of The Smiths, the genuine charming of The Ocean Blue or Butcher Boy, with the peculiar additions of synths or unusual instrumentations. And this is their third record, meaning I have much more music to discover from Cats on Fire!
Cats On Fire : A Few Empty Waves
Cats On Fire - The Sea Within You Cats On Fire : My Sense Of Pride

No comments:

Post a Comment