Find us on facebook

Saturday, February 15, 2014

The Indie Anthology 36: essential songs

The Indie Anthology makes another mandatory stop to pay tribute to one of my all-time favourite artists, Natalie Merchant, who has just announced her comeback with a forthcoming album of new tunes. Her voice, lyrics, her talents as composer, performer, her attitude & commitment, her role as an activist... Oh, this is going to get emotional.

Song: Poison in the Well
Artist: 10.000 Maniacs
Year: 1989

Do you have a band/artist that can bring you to your knees? Make you cry each time you hear them? Break your heart in pieces? I do. R.E.M. have several songs that can be emotionally devastating for me, but the most infallible one will always be 10.000 Maniacs/Natalie Merchant. With the Maniacs, her most exciting period imo, the jangling guitars mixed with the power of her voice, and what she sang about, her records have always been very special for me. Yeah, she moved on and became a more mainstream artist in the 90s, although I don't think she ever compromised a single bit of her integrity and talents, before she shifted her career again, towards traditional music (I won't waste my time arguing, "Motherland" is a precious album). I owe you so many discoveries, readings, thoughts, even trips. A millions thanks Natalie, for being such an inspiration. So happy to have you back. You are the most welcomed.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment