Find us on facebook

Thursday, March 5, 2015

These Go to 11: interviewing Grushenka

This week we have the pleasure of having one of our favourite Spanish bands in our interview series. Ladies & Gentlemen, here's Xavier Friedrich, the leader of our dear Grushenka. These Go to 11! 

Xavier Friedrich, Grushenka
Grushenka: a family of noise-pop
Formed in 2010 by siblings Xavier and Laia, we felt in love with their music just a year after, with their first, homonym EP, published by our beloved label El Genio EquivocadoFive songs offering us a most promising dose of bursting, blatant noise-pop, echoing Los Planetas or Ride. A promise that was even excelled in 2012 with their first album 'Técnicas Subversivas', a brilliant work that established Grushenka as one of the most exciting young bands on the national scene. Now, after some changes in their line-up, on the first months of 2014, they returned in full form with tremendous single 'Enredo Interesante', anticipating their second album 'La Insoportable Levedad del Ser', out since February. Making a smooth but convincing shift from overwhelming noise-pop to lush, hyper-addictive dream pop, without losing a single bit of their intensity, energy and trademark touch. Can't help it: our love for Grushenka's music is permanent. Here we go!

Spice-up your life & choose your own popstar!
1. First record that you bought (be honest)
The Spice Girls in cassette. I felt the urge to buy it after listening to it for five days in a row at school's piped music.

2. First and last concert you have attended (be honest too!)
The first was The Rolling Stones with my mum when I was fifteen. The last one was The Gramophone All Stars when I was at work (I work as a sound technician in the local theater).

3. Guilty pleasure (song/band you shouldn’t like but you do, yes, it’s the embarrassing question)
I'm not ashamed of my tastes and have no prejudices, but I always have liked a lot the Blackadder opening, and maybe that's quite embarrassing.

Saints turning demons in a space-rock gem
4. Most precious music item you own (collector mode on)
My first Epiphone electric guitar, which is actually of a cheap range, and it's been customized by my girlfriend.

5. Favorite lyrics (not yours)
I'm not sure if I could choose a favourite, but I dig a lot 'Santos que yo te pinté' by Los Planetas.

6. Musician/s you would like to meet (should be alive, for obvious reasons, but you can choose a dead one too)
Robert Smith. He looks very cuddly.

Pumpkins get surreal (& reach their best)
7. Favorite artwork album (not yours)
I like 'Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness' by The Smashing Pumpkins cover, but I wouldn't say it's my favorite.

8. Books or movies? Depending on your answer recommend us one (trick: you can choose both) 
Books inspire me. I recommend to read whatever book.

9. Song (of yours) you are most proud of
Can't choose. I'm equally proud of all my sons.

Molt tocats per la tramuntana...

10. What does it mean indie for you? (yes, the “serious question”)
Nothing. They say the most you repeat a word, the more it loses it's sense.

11. Where do you see yourself in 10 years? 
Selling fruits and veggies in a small shop in Empuriabrava.

Zillion thanks Xavi, thanks Grushenka!

No comments:

Post a Comment