Find us on facebook

Thursday, January 15, 2015

These Go to 11: interviewing Minifestival

Our first interview of 2015 is a double, quite long (thanks, much appreciated) and special one. We have the bosses of the oldest and (inaguarbly) one of the best Festivals held in Barcelona. Of course, we are referring to the Minifestival de Música Independent de Barcelona,  which this February celebrates it's 20th edition. We are extremely proud to have Carles Lafuente and Xavier Guillaumes answering our questionnaire. These Go to 11! 

Carles & Xavir, doyens of indie in Barcelona
Carles Lafuente & Xavier Guillaumes, Minifestival de Música Independent de Barcelona
The Primitives, Amor de Días, Standard Fare, Nick Garrie, Luke Haines, Mark Gardener from Ride, Antonio Arias, Damien Jurado, Dot Allison, Chris Brokaw, Damon and Naomi, Clem Snide, Darren Hayman, The Trash Can Sinatras, The Clientele, Tender Trap, Sing Sing. We're just naming a few. What do they have in common, aside from being great artists/bands? They have formed part of the Minifestival de Música Indepdendent de Barcelona, a music institution not just in Barcelona but in the whole country organizing, for 20 years now, an indiepop festival with an incredible good taste and an incorruptible independent ethic. The gigantic task of promoters and music activists Carles and Xavier has to be vindicated and celebrated, that's why having them answering the questionnaire is so special for us. Oh! And needless to say, we'll be there this February, eager to see bands like The Close Lobsters, The School or Linda Guilala, among others and congratulate them for one of the most impressive labours of love with regards to music done in our country. Here we go!


Technicolour pop
1. First record that you bought (be honest)
Carles Lafuente: The LP of Rocky Sharpe & The Replays with the song 'Rama Lam Ding Dong', followed by Tino Casal.
Xavier Guillaumes: At 8th grade I bought 'ET' OS by John Williams with the money given to me for my birthday... but if we are talking about pop music, it was the 'Urbi et Orbi' by Duble Buble, on cassette.

2. First and last concert you have attended (be honest too!)
Carles: My first concert? I guess that it was one by the high school band which I declared myself manager and line-up designer (high school parties...great times!): Teo & The Pipos. The last has been Morrissey's concert in Barcelona. A dream come true.
Xavier: First, Duble Buble, at Torre de Les Aigües' inauguration party, around 1987. Last, the jam session that ended the reopening party of LA CAPSA at el Prat. Regrettably, I don't attend many gigs... Last one I sadly missed was Fear Of Men at Primavera Club.

Ms. Imbruglia, the girl with the "Torn" on her side
3. Guilty pleasure (song/band you shouldn’t like but you do, yes, it’s the embarrassing question)
Carles: The truth is that I'm not ashamed about my musical tastes, they are quite diverse. I grew up listening music that my father or my aunt listened, and I recognize the value of songwriters like Serrat, Lluís Llach or Raimon, and also I enjoy like a child with (Nino) Bravo or Camilo Sexto. We have to keep in mind that I'm almost 50 years old.
Xavier: Natalie Imbruglia.

4. Most precious music item you own (collector mode on)
Carles: I'm incapable of choosing one specific thing. My house is full of magazines, books, CDs, LPS, videos, DVDs....and fanzines, lots of fanzines. And many of them with a sentimental meaning...
Xavier: The single 'Beattles and Stones' by The House of Love with a precious poster inside.

Joan Miquel Oliver, Balearic Islands' surrealism
5. Favorite lyrics (not yours)
Carles: My favourite lyrics are the ones by The Smiths... Back then, and after a tough task of translation with the Collins dictionary, they seemed written for me.
Xavier:  Most of the songs of Joan Oliver with Antonia Font. Also Nacho Umbert lyrics. I remember his record 'Adiós' with Paperhouse reingratiated with lyrics written in Spanish on a period of time on which I much preferred songs written in English although many of them I didn't understand. Talking about the present edition of the Minifestival, I like the effective simplicity of 'Lo Siento Mucho' by Linda Guilala.

6. Musician/s you would like to meet (should be alive, for obvious reasons, but you can choose a dead one too)
Carles: There are plenty of artists that I would like to meet. Obviously, Morrissey. Also I have to say that thanks to the Minifestival I was able to meet another one of my idols: German Coppini.
Xavier: LUSH, although the drummer is dead.

Hatful of Hollow
7. Favorite artwork album (not yours)
Carles: I know that I can be a little bit repetitive but I have to say the 'Manchester quartet' again. 'Hatful of Hollow', with that picture of the group inside. I got the black glasses, the stripped shirt and... I even copied the hairstyle too.
Xavier: 'Lovelife' of  LUSH, especialy the singles of ''500 (Shake, baby shake)... in fact almost all albums published by 4AD during the 90s.

8. Books or movies? Depending on your answer recommend us one (trick: you can choose both) 
Carles: As it happens with music, my movie tastes are very heterogeneous. From auteur cinema to the most truculent Z series. And although I know that I shouldn't say it, this Emule thing makes everything reachable. Unfortunately, there is not enough time to see as many films and now there are also several interesting tv shows to see. My favourite literary authors are Paul Auster, Boris Vian, Oscar Wilde (wow, what a coincidence!). I have to admit that I don't read many books lately (when I was young I devoured all that passed through my hands). The main problem is time and magazines (of music and cinema). Also, the evil invention of Internet and tablets have also stolen time to the cinema and the literature.
Xavier: A classic, 'The Apartment' by Billy Wilder, and a indie film of 90s, 'Simple Men' by Hal Hartley.
Miracles for Sale fanzine
9. Band you have brought to the Minifestival that you are most proud of
Carles: All the bands that act at the Minifestival provide us a great joy. We always count with a band of 'our time', from when we actively began to be involved with music. This year, we could highlight Close Lobsters, a mythical indie band that have been insisting several years until finally they have gotten away with it and they will play at the 20th edition of the Minifestival. That the bands are willing to play considering how little we can offer them in return make us so proud.
Xavier: Buffff...Luke Haines or The Trash Can Sinatras or...

10. What does it mean indie for you? (yes, the “serious question”)
Carles: To me indie is a type of music that in my case has become a way of life. Because it was as consequence of listening this music, 'rare, unknown for the majority', that I met my partner Xavi collaborating in his fanzine Miracles For Sale. Then we launched Marca Acme and finally we embarked in the adventure of Minifestival.
Xavier: The chance of being wrong but no businessman or investor tells you that you are wrong an how you should do things.

11. Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
Carles: In ten years, maybe we will continue as now... Trying to attract some brand to our project, so they give us carte blanche to sign (as Florentino*, referring to F. Pérez, president of Real Madrid Football Club), whoever we might want, but without any success... Being more realistic, we'll be working all the year to be able to add another edition to our track record...While we have health and the public respond we will stand up. Oh, and maybe in ten years we can bring some of those bands that now fill magazine pages...and that one day were an important part of the soundtrack of a few lives.
Xavier: Trying to organize the 30th Minifestival... and hoping to help that my daughter or someone else can begin projects like ours. And I would like to write again a fanzine when I retire!

Zillion thanks Carles & Xavier, thanks Minifestival!

No comments:

Post a Comment