Find us on facebook

Thursday, November 6, 2014

These Go to 11: interviewing Fighter Pillow

Back from Primavera Club, we return to our regular interview series with Manu Herrero, Fighter Pillow and Black Islands' guitarist answering our questionnaire. These Go to 11!

Manu Herrero, Fighter Pillow 
The "warriors" of  indie-pop
After discovering them two years ago, when they only had four demos available at their bandcamp, the mysteriously titled 'EP1', while they were enlisted to play at Primavera als Parcs' 2012. The band was born a year before crystallising in a real local underground supergroup with Eli Molina from our beloved Me and the Bees, Manu "Rec" Herrero from Black Islands, Rubén Martínez from Maika Makowski & Ainara LeGardon and Afonso "Pocho" Méndez from lo:muêso (Eric Fuentes or our friend Edu Chirinos from Las Ruinas also took part on the initial first stages of the band). Their debut, self-titled album arrived this October on Hang The DJ Records, confirming the promise of those earlier songs and following digital singles. Diverse indie-rock with a knack for melodies and a deep love for fuzzy guitars, that you shouldn't miss live if you can, as proved at Primavera Club 2014. Here we go!


'Holidays in the sun' going punk
1. First record that you bought (be honest)
'Nevermind The Bollocks' by Sex Pistols, on CD. I bought it while I was on holidays with my parents. I was 15 years old and at that time I didn’t have a CD player. I know it sounds so cool but it’s true. My brother, who was present, can testify on my behalf.

2. First and last concert you have attended (be honest too!)
I can’t remember the first one. One of the first was a German indie pop band called Bazooka Cain, at the social center of my town. I spent all my money buying their 7". I was 16. The latest has been Morrissey in Barcelona.
3. Guilty pleasure (song/band you shouldn’t like but you do, yes, it’s the embarrassing question)
I don't understand the concept of "guilty pleasure" in matters of art. Either you like it, enjoy it or not. Is all that matters.
Mr. Haines, artitst saving the world
4. Most precious music item you own (collector mode on)
Maybe my Vox AC30, which was used on a tour by The Wedding Present or a vinyl autographed by Luke Haines.

5. Favorite lyrics (not yours)
'Don't forget the songs that made you cry and the songs that saved your life. Yes you're older now and you're clever swine but they were the only ones who ever stood by you'.
All the Morrissey work on The Smiths.

6. Musician/s you would like to meet (should be alive, for obvious reasons, but you can choose a dead one too)
I'm afraid of meeting my idols. I don’t like that idea. It can be very disappointing.

Domestic still life, by The Cure
7. Favorite artwork album (not yours)
'Three Imaginary Boys' by The Cure. I find it very funny and arty at the same time.

8. Books or movies? Depending on your answer recommend us one (trick: you can choose both) 
Book: 'The Nightingale and the Rose' by Oscar Wilde
Movie: 'Sunset Boulevard' by Billy Wilder.

Twilight and fall
9. Release (of yours) you are most proud of
Choosing one would despise the others. I don’t want to regret it tomorrow when I read my answer.

10. What does it mean indie for you? (yes, the “serious question”)
Nothing. Sometimes it's a matter of money and other of ethics. So it makes no sense to talk seriously about it, because every step you take in order to grow as a band can betray the other.

11. Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
I don't know. I just hope to be alive and happy. If that involves music, fine, if not, fine too.

Zillion thanks Manu & Fighter Pillow!

No comments:

Post a Comment