Find us on facebook

Monday, September 22, 2014

The Indie Anthology 52: essential songs

The next song in our Indie Anthology it's also one of the most confessionals I have included in this section... But I guess it shows "the other side", a very human one too. Do you have a tune to reveal all the anger, also all the pain, you have been through? I do, I just didn't know it was going to turn that real...

Song: The Rat
Artist: The Walkmen
Year: 2004

The Walkmen

While I hope the "indefinite hiatus" the band has decided to take doesn't last that long (although it looks the other way, to be honest), 'The Rat', one of the his most celebrated, straightforward and unstoppable songs, still sounds as fresh, powerful, honest and blatantly mind-blowing as it was for me the first time I heard it. But that wouldn't telling the whole truth. Now every single word Hamilton Leithauser yells, no, let me correct, spits, seems to be sung in my name. Of course, I know my tale it's not about a post-break-up story clearly turning to a point between rage and being stuck. But yes, I have been stuck for several months, and I've been keeping all the fury in (call me civilised or call me coward), so Hamilton's voice is my silent throat, Matt Barrick's drums storming all over are my heart beats, and Paul Maroon's frantic guitar is my brain going back and forth all over. So here it is: dedicated to all the rats out there. Thanks The Walkmen for putting the words & music...

No comments:

Post a Comment